Machinist Training Program
Interested in an engaging aerospace machinist career but don’t want the debt? Since 2014, we have been offering a 12-week paid machinist training program that is a full time career from day one. As a company we understand that employees are our only appreciable asset and by investing in them we are investing in our future.
The CNC Machinist Training Program will cover a wide variety of topics preparing you for the culture and expectations of Acutec Precision Aerospace Inc. In addition, we will educate and train you to become self-sufficient and independent workers capable of machining, inspecting and holding oneself accountable for the quality of flight critical aerospace components produced at your machine.
- Step 1: Apply – Our classes start at the beginning of each quarter (January, April, July, & October)
- Step 2: Complete a fit phone screening
- Step 3: Come to our facility to see our work processes and interview with your future Team Leader.
- Step 4: Demonstrate aptitude through the WorkKeys exam.
- Step 5: Receive and offer and complete a physical and drug screen.
WorkKeys Scores above a 6 in Applied Mathematics, Reading for Information and Locating Information are correlated with good outcomes in the machinist profession.
Your First Week: Get Acquainted
- Gain an introduction to the Four Philosophies of Acutec, communication, the Effort Grid, accountability, expectations and the future of Acutec by our own CEO Elisabeth Smith and founder Rob Smith.
- Rotate through four departments, understand how the different areas affect each other and get an idea of how parts flow through the facility and our various systems and procedures.
Saw: Learn about aerospace traceability, safety, material properties, and documentation
Deburr Lab: Blueprint reading with attention to detail and the implications of rework
Quality: Understand why quality is important, learn names of basic inspection equipment, and blueprints
Tool Room: Understand how the tool room functions along with different tool names and locations.
- Interact with a panel of experienced machinists.
- Receive an in class introduction to CNC Machining and Safety taught by an experienced Machinist.
- Start your Shop Math course with our trainer and apply math to real world concepts.
- Meet your new team, and your skilled machinist trainer.
Your 2nd-10th Week: Machining Apprenticeship
Train with skilled machinists on tooling, setups, inspection and CNC operations. Also, while attending three 2-hour on-site classes per week (testing out of classes is available for prior experience).
- Blue Print Reading
- Inspection Principles
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
Your 11th-12th Week: Independent Work
- Migrate to your own CNC Machine, while continuing to have support from both your Trainer and Team Leader (Supervisor).
- Build a Tool Box with tools using our Tool Bill Program.
- Complete program, receive a certificate along with a celebration luncheon.
- Prepare to go to night shift.